Saturday, January 05, 2008

Privacy

It is totally killing me that I have to wait two weeks to make the formal announcement that I'm pregnant. I am a selectively patient person, but keeping secrets about myself is not one of those things I select to be patient about!

Good thing I can blab away to my heart's content here on my blog. This page is like my dirty little secret, for now I get to pretend that no one knows, but I know that lots of people read this. For example, the other day my husband's personal trainer congratulated him but because he's awesome he didn't confirm or deny anything. I doubt she stumbled on this page but one just never knows.

I was talking to my hairdresser today and apparently a lot of her long-time regulars are pregnant right now, so we shared some of the horrifying things people say and do to pregnant women. I get such a kick out of the number of people that tell me, "OMG, You're gonna be HUGE!!"

Thanks for that, what the fuck kind of weird compliment is that? Most people say congratulations or that they're happy for us or something...but telling me I'm going to be fat doesn't make me feel good. Would they like it if I told them they were huge? How about if I pointed out they have a huge whitehead on their face? Or how about every time someone rubs my tummy I pinch their cheeks? They're just so cute when they violate my personal space!

I am the kind of person who does what I can not to hurt people's feelings, so I really wonder how I'm going to maintain my dignity through this pregnancy. When people are just trying to make conversation and they say appalling things to me, it's going to completely stall the discussion if I point out they said something rude to me. Then again, would I be treating myself well if I allowed others to treat me in a way they wouldn't want to be treated?

I never really thought about this stuff before I was pregnant. I hereby formally apologize to all of the mothers out there I've told were huge.

No comments: