Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Land of Suburbia

Mr. Spouse and I made a pilgrimage to the Bellevue Square mall today because I wanted to investigate the maternity clothing options there. It was horrifying.

The maternity store I was looking for was no longer in business, and traffic around that mall is the stuff of nightmares, so after spending too much precious time of our remaining lives putting a few extra miles on the car we ended up at Bellevue Square.

The mall was an unholy terror. I found Babystyle, which had a nice line of Italian maternity clothes that were quite stylish (yet bland colored) with agonizing prices. A cotton jersey dress, black, dry clean only, $300! Yikes!! I think I tried on every piece by that brand, but mercifully none of them were big enough in the chest for me so they got to keep them all.

I had to go up two sizes in all the shirts I tried on, which was not comforting, but hey, I have shirts that fit now, a dress, a skirt, and two pairs of pants!! My maternity jeans no longer fit so I picked up a pair by Citizens of Humanity. I'm still surprised that I spent so much money on a pair of maternity pants, but I am seriously desperate for clothes that make me look good.

If I could get back all the time I've spent looking for fashionable maternity clothes and put it into making stuff for myself, I'd be the most stylish person in Seattle! Perhaps after I finish my current costume gig I can invest some time in my wardrobe, and I might be able to make some stuff for my pregnant friends while I'm at it.

At the checkout line were hordes of skinny frosted haired blonde clones clearly buying presents for friends' showers. It was so odd to see them! Even in downtown Seattle malls I just don't see women like that! You know the long legged, jean-clad, straight haired, striped hair and too much makeup masses that frequent all the trendy bars...you can catch them reeling around the streets of Belltown in the middle of winter without a coat. Thank god I'm not like them. Watching them today was like being too close to the bars at the zoo, especially now that I live in a completely different world than them. They pushed into me in line yet managed to somehow not acknowledge me in any way.

Which makes me think about all the really cool women I've gotten to know a little better during this pregnancy. It's amazing how many women have offered up their pregnancy stories to me. The more I show, the more friends and acquaintances of mine come forward and tell me their birth stories, or stories about how much they loved being pregnant. I've met very few women who had a completely horrible time with their pregnancy but even the ones that did have good things to say about it. It's a special time for a woman. It's like someone put a cover on the platter of life, everything is a little quieter, a little slower, and a little brighter. This is the most precious time of my life and even though I am uncomfortable and moody as hell, I am having a great time.

In other news, Mr. Spouse felt our son moving for the first time today!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the exact reaction I have when I venture into the eastside...ugg!

Anonymous said...

Heh. B'Square was where sophistimicated & I went & terrified the clerk of one maternity shop with really bad Arnold accents of, "I'm going to... SMOCK -- YOU! UP!" because oh my god, the horridness of the smocks! I too left everything there because I am, apparently, extraordinarily blessed in the bust & baby-home belly area. NOT. I'm just not a freaky trophy wife. Heh.

Anonymous said...

This is a GREAT blog...thanks for sharing!