Saturday, May 24, 2008

Cloth diapers

My husband and I signed up for a diaper service but I'm still looking into all the newgfangled cloth diapers on the market for ease of travel and honestly, because I keep finding super cute fabric at the fabric store. I don't get all the cloth diaper lingo and all the different types of convenient waste management options for babies these days.

This isn't my mother's diapering world anymore! I feel like I need a book for a guideline!

So I have a bunch of super cute flannel for making diapers. Then I saw some super cute polyurethane coated fabric for covers, but why would any mother want that crap next to her child's skin? And whatever happened to those good old fashioned diapers with the pins? I totally see why so many parents resort to disposables! There are just too many options out there for cloth diapers!!

Crap. I think I need to buy a home serger so I can do those cute skinny serged edges on everything.

3 comments:

00goddess said...

I use PUL in the menstrual pads that I make. It doesn't sit right next to the skin; the absorbent cloth does that. PUL sits after that, to prevent leaks. It's great stuff as far as I am concerned.

I know a lot of ladies who cloth diaper. Cloth has come a long way! There are great options out there, and especially if you sew- you can get exactly what you want.

I am on a few cloth co-op lists and I will send you the urls if you want. A lot of ladies will buy a fabric that they like, and then they co-op together to send it in to Fabrite to have it laminated. That way you can have an outer layer that looks exactly the way you want.

Also, cloth diapers have GREAT resale value.

Forsythe Family said...

I wandered over here from live journal. I do cloth diapering and there is a lot to learn, but it's really easy once you figure it out. Since you can sew you should really consider making your own (and selling them to me!). Check out diaperswappers.com A few days of reading on there will get you up to speed and you can ask questions.

Here is one place that sells diaper patterns. There are others, but it's one that I know is good.
http://www.verybaby.com/ccp0-catshow/cloth-diaper-sewing-patterns.html

There are also communities on livejournal for cloth diapering.

Let me know if you have questions!
http://users.livejournal.com/swizzle_/

Punkythemomcat said...

This is a great site for green baby stuff and this are some cool diapers.
http://www.babyearth.com/gdiapers-starter-kit.html