Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Vbac or C-section?

Yesterday's appointment went very well. I like my ob, I like her nurses and the rest of her staff, the location is convenient, and this doctor did my c-section that brought Henry into the world. However, she won't do a vbac.

My prenatal care was truly horrific with Henry. I'm still mentally scarred from his birth. It wasn't just the birthing process that was bad with him, it was nearly every visit to the midwife that was awful. It culminated with my midwife not returning pages from the nursing staff when I was in labor. If I ever see that woman again, I might end up in jail.

So with that in mind, sticking with my current ob has many attractive qualities. The biggest one for me is summed up in what the nurse said to me yesterday upon trying to find my c-section scar: "you could still be a topless dancer!" She did a magnificent job stitching me back up.

Sure I'm vain. Got a problem with that?

Even with all of the factors in her favor, the thought of going into surgery again makes me shudder with dread.

I can either continue my care with my current ob and have another c-section or I can find another doctor who will let me try a vaginal birth but I might still end up with another c-section.

The recovery from my previous one was awful. Two weeks on vicodin, two days in the hospital, trying to get used to having a baby during all that is something I don't care to repeat, especially while dealing with an almost two year old too.

I have a lot to think about.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a tough decision. I'd say go for the VBAC, but having an established good relationship with a doc is a big plus. I guess it depends on how strongly you feel about trying to avoid a second C-section

Do you have "Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn"? It has a good section on VBACs. I have a copy if you're interested.

If you are interested in pursuing a VBAC, I highly recommend the midwife I went to when I was pregnant with D - Ann Darlington. She's part of a group of midwives, so who you get during labor depends on who's on call, but they all seemed really awesome when I was there.

In fact, though my labor with D didn't meet the "ideal birth" scenario I had in mind, if anything I credit the midwives of that group for making it as close as possible under the circumstances.

Unknown said...

Aw, man - the group Ann is associated with just had an open house today.

Here's the page about the group.